Every effort is being made to ensure that this website reaches A standard accessibility according to the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). If there is data on this site that is in a format you cannot access, or if you experience other accessibility difficulties, please advise the Web administrator by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to:
Justice and Community Safety Directorate
GPO Box 158
Canberra ACT 2601
Please note that all links from this site to other websites will launch a new browser window.
General Web Accessibility Information
There are many tools that can assist people with a disability to access the Internet. These tools are either hardware or software.
These tools manipulate the keyboard or mouse, because the person with a disability cannot use them. Examples are:
- Refreshable Braille displays - A small Braille display that a blind person can use to read the screen line by line.
- Joysticks / Trackballs - Pointers that manipulate the mouse onscreen for people with motor disabilities.
- Alternative keyboards - Keyboards that have limited keys for people with motor disabilities. These include keyboards manipulated by fingers and keyboards manipulated using a head-wand.
These tools change how a user interacts with the site. Examples are:
- Screen readers - Programs that convert a web site into a Braille display or read it in audio for people who are blind, visually impaired or have dyslexia.
- Screen Magnifiers - Programs that magnify sections of the screen for people with vision impairments.
- Oversized cursors - Large cursors for people with vision impairments.
- Onscreen keyboards - Keyboards for people with motor disabilities used in combination with switching devices.
- Programs that slow down applications for people with motor disabilities.
Vision Australia provides information and links to resources.
General Browser Shortcuts
The keyboard shortcuts provided below apply to Microsoft Internet Explorer, Opera and Firefox.
The following keyboard shortcut forms are used throughout the lists below:
- Del= Delete
- UP, DOWN
- LEFT, RIGHT =Arrow keys
Where available, the key combinations for Windows, Linux and Mac operating systems have been provided.
|Decrease text size||Ctrl/Cmd+-||9|
|Delete individual form auto-complete entry||Del||Shift+Del|
|DOM inspector||Ctrl+Shift+I (Win/Linux)|
|Find as you type link||'||,
|Find as you type text||/||/
|Find in this page||Ctrl/Cmd+F||Ctrl/Cmd+F||Ctrl/Cmd+F|
|Go down one line||Down||Down||Down|
|Go up one line||Up||Up||Up|
|Go down one page||PageDown||PageDown||PageDown|
|Go up one page||PageUp||PageUp||PageUp|
|Go to bottom of page||End||End||End|
|Go to top of page||Home||Home||Home|
|Full screen||F11||F11 (Win/Linux)||F11|
|Increase text size||Ctrl/Cmd++||0|
|Move to next frame||F6|
|More to previous frame||Shift+F6|
|Next tab||Ctrl/Cmd+O||Ctrl+Tab (Win/Linux)
|Open link in new tab||Ctrl/Cmd+F3||Ctrl/Cmd+Enter/Return|
|Open link in new window||Ctrl/Cmd+V||Shift+Enter/Return||Shift+Enter/Return|
|Open address in new tab||Ctrl/Cmd+P||Alt/Option+Enter/Return||Shift+Enter/Return|
|Page info||Ctrl/Cmd+Y||Ctrl+I (Linux)
|Feature Not Available Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+Tab
|Reload (override cache)||Alt/Option+D
|Restore text size||Ctrl/Cmd+0||6|
|Save page as||Ctrl/Cmd+S||Ctrl/Cmd+S|
|Save link target as||Alt/Option+Enter/Return|
|Select location bar||Esc||Ctrl/Cmd+L
|Select next auto-complete entry in text field||Ctrl/Cmd+Z||Down|
|Select previous auto-complete entry in text field||Up|
|Select next search engine in search bar||Ctrl/Cmd+Down|
|Select previous search engine in search bar||Ctrl/Cmd+Up|
|Select tab [1 to 9]||Ctrl+[1 to 9] (Win)
Alt+[1 to 9] (Linux)
Cmd+[1 to 9] (Mac)
(Web Search moves the cursor to the Search Bar and only works if the Search Bar is visible. If the Search Bar is hidden, this keyboard shortcut has no effect).
Shortcuts for Internet Explorer
Details of shortcuts for various versions of Internet Explorer can be obtained from the Microsoft website.
Shortcuts for Firefox Mozilla
Details of shortcuts for various versions of Mozilla can be obtained from the Firefox website.