The JACS Directorate maintains an extensive network of 86 elected Health and Safety Representatives (HSRs). HSR's support and underpin the Directorate's consultation arrangements on safety, health and wellbeing matters and assist in maintaining safe and healthy workplaces.
The Directorate has ongoing working relationships with unions that also represent workers on safety, health, and wellbeing.
The Safety, Health and Wellbeing team assists the Directorate to maintain, improve and support the Directorate's established WHS consultative framework. The JACS Director-General's Tier 1 Safety Health and Wellbeing committee met quarterly to maintain strategic oversight and direction of WHS throughout the Directorate. The Tier 1 meeting is a consultative committee comprising representation from Executives, health and safety representatives and unions.
The JACS Safety Health and Wellbeing Team assisted business units by reviewing Terms of Reference and changed membership to reflect the current organisational structure during the reporting period.
Tiers 2 and 3 Safety, Health and Wellbeing committees were also held quarterly throughout the Directorate's business units. Relevant Senior Executives chair committee meetings.
The Safety, Health and Wellbeing team supports the Directorate committees by:
- providing advice to Executives regarding injury prevention and injury management performance and compliance
- facilitating collaboration between Executives and Directorate workers to develop and carry out measures designed to ensure workers' safety, health, and wellbeing at work
- providing updates on legislative changes, new policies, and guidelines
- identifying risk profile trends through reported hazards, incidents/accidents, injuries, or diseases, and
- providing business units with advice on the ongoing development of and implementation of the Directorate's Safety Health and Wellbeing guidelines and procedures.