The Community Clubs Ministerial Advisory Council (CCMAC) was formed in May 2021 and is comprised of 14 members, including the Minister for Gaming, Mr Shane Rattenbury MLA, and the Minister for Business and Better Regulation, Ms Tara Cheyne MLA.
CCMAC’s terms of reference provide that the CCMAC is a non-statutory body, established to perform an advisory role for the ACT Government, with the purpose of building a long-term, sustainable clubs sector in the ACT.
CCMAC is one of 10 initiatives under the Parliamentary and Governing Agreement for the 10th Legislative Assembly (PAGA) to reduce harm from gaming while supporting sustainable clubs.
The CCMAC provides a formal link between stakeholder groups, the Minister for Gaming, the Minister for Business and Better Regulation and the ACT Government and is a primary communication channel during the implementation of relevant commitments made in PAGA.
Members of the Community Clubs Ministerial Advisory Council
In accordance with the terms of reference, the CCMAC is comprised of seven ex-officio members and seven representatives of stakeholder groups with a material interest in issues affecting Canberra’s licensed clubs industry, including its workers, members and guests, as well as the broader Canberra community.
The ACT Government appointed the seven representatives of stakeholder groups on the basis of their qualifications and experience, for a term of three years.
- Mr Shane Rattenbury MLA, Minister for Gaming (Chair)
- Ms Tara Cheyne MLA, Minister for Business and Better Regulation (Deputy Chair)
- Executive Branch Manager, Civil and Regulatory Law Branch, Legislation, Policy and Programs Division, Justice and Community Safety Directorate (JACS) (Senior executive from JACS)
- Ms Yu-Lan Chan, Chief Executive Officer (CEO), ACT Gambling and Racing Commission (Senior executive or Board member representing the ACT Gambling and Racing Commission)
- Mr Athol Chalmers, Chair, Canberra Community Clubs (CEO or Board member representing Canberra Community Clubs)
- Ms Kim Marshall, President, ClubsACT (CEO or Board member representing ClubsACT)
- Ms Lyndal Ryan, Secretary, United Workers Union (Secretary or nominated representative from the United Workers Union)
- Ms Wendy Sandeman, Financial Counsellor, Care Inc. Financial Counselling Service and Consumer Law Centre of the ACT (Representative: Gambling harm reduction organisation or expert)
- Mr Jeremy Halcrow, Founder and Co-chair, Canberra Gambling Reform Alliance (Representative: Gambling harm reduction organisation or expert)
- Ms Kate Seselja, Founder, the Hope Project and person with lived experience of gambling harm (Representative: Gambling harm reduction organisation or expert)
- Mr Geoff McKay, President, Canberra Bowling Club (Representative: Community clubs)
- Ms Mary Collier, President, Canberra Irish Club (Representative: Community clubs)
- Mr Garrett Purtill, President of Canberra Labor Club (Representative: Community clubs)
- Mr Thomas Stevens, Director, Youth Coalition of the ACT (Representative: Young people)